Biodynamic Agriculture Course
Advanced Holistic Approach to Farming
April 25 – May 19, 2016
Certificate Program in Fairfield, Iowa
Are you interested in learning more about sustainable farming? This is your chance to be at the forefront by taking the first university level course on Biodynamic Agriculture in the United States.
In this course, taught by international biodynamic agriculture expert, Dr. A. Thimmaiah, PhD, you will learn efficient methods for carbon sequestration, address climate change, gain farming skills and more.
What is Biodynamic agriculture?
Biodynamic agriculture is an advanced from of organic agriculture. Every farm is treated as a “living organism” where all farm activities are self-supporting, interrelated and influence each other. Biodynamic’s unique practices include:
- following the lunar rhythms to guide planting and cultivation
- using herbal preparations for enhancing the composting process
- spraying specially-aged manure and silica solutions on soil and plants to aid the growth and development of plants
Biodynamic farms are self-sufficient and biologically diverse. Crops and livestock are integrated; nutrients are recycled to nurture the health of the soil, crops, animals, and the farmers. As scientific research over the past two decades has shown, biodynamic agriculture is one of the efficient methods for sequestering carbon, critical to reversing climate change.
Whether you are a student, farmer, amateur gardener, activist, organic food organization, or agriculturally-based organization; this course is for you.
Biodynamic (BD) agriculture, an advanced state of organic farming, is about:
- respecting nature
- re-building healthy soil
- growing healthier food
- maintaining biological diversity
- building a self-sufficient community
In this course you will:
- Gain a deep understanding of the relationship of earth, life and human beings from scientific and eco-spiritual perspectives.
- Expand your understanding of the principles, preparations and practices of biodynamic agriculture techniques.
- Learn how to replenish your depleted soil and re-establish biological diversity.
- Get hands on experience through farming, which you can start using immediately.
- Receive a certificate in Biodynamic Agriculture from Maharishi University of Management (MUM) and Demeter Association Inc., USA.
The course will be taught by Dr. A. Thimmaiah, PhD, an expert in organic, biodynamic and vedic agriculture promoting climate smart, low-carbon green approaches for rural development. Through constant innovation and research, he has developed many low-cost farming solutions utilizing natural resources that are benefiting thousands of farmers in different countries.
Globally he has played a leading role in the development, coordination, implementation of strategies, programs & policies addressing the issues of:
- food security
- climate smart sustainable agriculture
- rural poverty reduction
- sustainable development
- Gross National Happiness (GNH)
He has advised the following on food and agriculture:
- leading agribusiness companies
- international organizations (FAO, IFAD, ICIMOD, IDRC and SNV)
- non-governmental agencies
- farmer groups
- research organizations
- undertaken projects in India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bhutan, Costa Rica, Holland, Italy
As a consultant to the Ministry of Agriculture and Forests, Royal Government of Bhutan from 2008-2013, he developed the organic standards, guidebooks, training manuals and zero-cost certification system to empower the farmers and facilitate the Himalayan nation to go 100% organic by 2020.
Thimmaiah holds a PhD in Biodynamic agriculture from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) in Delhi, India and serves as Associate Professor of Department of Sustainable Living at the Maharishi University of Management in Fairfield, Iowa, USA.
This course is offered in association with Demeter Association, Inc. The mission of Demeter Association is to enable people to farm successfully, in accordance with Biodynamic® practices and principles while its vision is to heal the planet through agriculture in accord with nature.
For more information about Demeter Association, Inc., please see their website.
Guest lectures by:
- Mr. Jim Fullmer, Director Demeter Association Inc.,
- Dr. Tom Newmark, founder of Sacred Seeds and co-owner of Finca Luna Nueva, a biodynamic farming operation in Costa Rica
- Other international specialists will be interacting throughout the course.
- Modern Agriculture Crisis and Climate Change
- Understanding Dr. Rudolf Steiner’s 8 Lectures on Agriculture through Modern Science.
- Principles and Practices of Biodynamic Agriculture
- Nine Biodynamic Preparations: Making and Utilization
- Biodynamic Composting
- Liquid Manure, Cow Pat Pit (CPP) and Other Formulations
- Crop Pest and Disease Management
- Animal Husbandry and Biodynamic Agriculture
- Converting a Farm to Biodynamic
- Biodynamic Certification Procedures
TM Instruction Included with the Course…FREE!
Practice of Transcendental Meditation is required in order to participate in this course. We’re happy to announce you can learn the TM technique FREE! We encourage you to register for the course and then search TM.org for a Transcendental Meditation Center near you to receive your instruction right away. Learning before you come is a great way to prepare for the course and will allow you to focus on the academics of the course when you arrive in Fairfield. If this is not possible, you can learn the TM technique on our campus. The four day TM course at MUM starts on Friday, April 22, 2016.
Transcendental Meditation has been shown by numerous studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals to have mental, physiological, behavioral, and physical benefits that enable you to learn more efficiently and effectively, Maharishi University of Management offers consciousness-based education to all its students. (link to learn more about benefits of TM and CBE) If you have not learned Transcendental Meditation, we encourage you register for the course then learn at a Transcendental Meditation Center near your home before you come.
Visit www.tm.org to find a center near you. If it is not possible for you to learn TM before you arrive, you will learn the TM technique on campus. This four day TM course at MUM starts on Friday, April 22, 2016.
Fairfield is located in SE Iowa, an hour south of Iowa City, 2 hours from Des Moines, and 4-5 hours from Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City, Omaha, Madison, and the Twin Cities.
- Cedar Rapids (1hr 20 min),
- Des Moines (2 hrs), and
- Quad Cities/Moline (2 hrs)
- Eco-Friendly accommodations in a new, contemporary, off – grid home in Abundance Eco Village in Fairfield, IA
-  472-7484
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A casual elegant bed and breakfast, is located 6/10th mile (1 km) east of the picturesque downtown square of Fairfield Iowa on Highway 34 Business (1208 E. Burlington).
-  209-7077
- Email: Boyer@lisco.com
- A new prototype located at Hwy 1 and Hwy 34 featuring a contemporary design. The AmericInn Fairfield is constructed with special energy conservation features including motion-monitoring energy management systems in all guestrooms, high efficiency windows, energy efficient construction and interior placement of the pool to retain heat.
-  451- 6600