Consciousness-Based education was developed by the University’s founder, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, so that students can discover the field of pure consciousness within themselves as the source of all knowledge.
Self-exploration is at the heart of an MUM education. By directly experiencing your innermost nature through the Transcendental Meditation technique, you can easily connect each discipline to your own life, and see the underlying unity of all knowledge.
What’s been missing from education? ➜
Simply stated, education has been leaving out you and your consciousness — your state of awareness.
When you study something, three elements are involved:
- the knowledge of the field of study;
- the process of gaining knowledge;
- and you, the student gaining knowledge.
Many colleges and universities are adequate or better on the first element — covering the subject of study. And some of them improve the process through innovative teaching techniques.
But conventional universities fail to expand the learning ability of the student — to develop the consciousness of the knower.
Without this third element, universities only provide information-based education — and the information is often forgotten once the course is over.
What has been missing is a way for you to develop yourself from within — to improve your brain functioning and enliven your full potential.
Why Consciousness-Based education? ➜
All knowledge emerges from consciousness — and in a sense you are consciousness. At MUM, Consciousness-Based education connects everything you learn to the underlying wholeness of life. So each class becomes relevant, because the knowledge of that subject is connected with your own inner nature.
Through MUM’s approach, you also see how each field of study can be practically applied towards helping solve problems in the world — and you gain the tools to create positive change.
This system of education includes the daily practice of a simple effortless procedure — the Transcendental Meditation technique — by all our students and faculty. Extensive published research has found that this technique boosts learning ability and creativity, improves brain functioning, and reduces stress.
“The key to growth is the introduction of higher dimensions of consciousness into our awareness.” — Lao Tzu, Chinese philosopher, 6th century BC
“The true purpose of education is to cherish and unfold the seed of immortality already sown within us; to develop, to their fullest extent, the capacities of every kind with which the God who made us has endowed us.” — Anna Jameson, British author & educator, 1794–1860
“The highest education is that which does not merely give us information but makes our life in harmony with all existence.” — Rabindranath Tagore, Indian poet, 1861-1941
“Truth is within ourselves: it takes no rise from outward things, what’er you may believe. There is an inmost center in us all, where truth abides in fullness.” — Robert Browning, English poet, 1812-1889
“Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel.” — Socrates, Greek philosopher, 469-399 BC
Consciousness-Based Education℠ has transformed the process of learning by connecting each discipline with the student’s personal experience in the following ways:
1. Direct development of consciousness
At MUM, all students learn and practice the Transcendental Meditation® technique, a systematic and scientifically verified means of developing one’s total potential. This is the core of Consciousness-Based education.
Through this simple, natural, and effortless procedure, students enliven the most creative, powerful, and blissful level of their own awareness — pure consciousness. The result is greater intelligence, greater creativity, greater learning ability, less stress, better health, better relationships — and, as a result, a better world.
The advanced TM-Sidhi® program, including Yogic Flying, accelerates the benefits of the Transcendental Meditation technique, especially when practiced in groups, as we do here.
2. A unifying framework for all knowledge
All human knowledge is an expression of consciousness. If you understand the basic principles of consciousness, you understand the basic principles of all fields of knowledge.
All courses at MUM are taught in light of these unifying principles of consciousness. What do you gain from this?
- You’ll be able to go to the very deepest level in every subject you study
- You’ll be able to move easily from one field of study to another
- You’ll understand the relationships among all subjects you study
- You’ll connect what you’re studying to your personal growth — the growth of your own consciousness — so that what you study is more personally relevant
- You’ll increasingly experience and understand life as a whole
3. Special teaching and learning techniques that develop holistic awareness
Faculty at MUM use special techniques that reflect fundamental laws of learning.
- The whole course on the first day— In each course you take, you’ll learn all the main principles of the course at the start. The remainder of the course then explores these themes.
- Main point charts — For each main lesson in a course, there is a wall chart displaying the main 3-4 points of the lesson. This helps the faculty organize the lessons, and it gives you the knowledge of the lesson at a glance. Each point also shows how the discipline knowledge is illuminated by the knowledge of the science and technology of consciousness — the knowledge of your self.
- Unified field charts — These wall charts map the entire discipline and all its branches, showing the relationship among all of them. They show how the discipline you’re studying emerges from the underlying field of pure consciousness, pure intelligence. And they show how you experience this underlying field directly, deep within yourself, through your Transcendental Meditation practice. With these charts, you’ll always see the big picture of the field of study —you never get lost in the details — and always see how what you’re studying relates to you personally.
4. Stress-free routine and nourishing environment
To develop your full creative potential and get the most out of your college education, it’s vital to maintain a restfully alert quality of mind and body. How do we do that here?
- Meditation — daily practice of the Transcendental Meditation and TM-Sidhi programs
- Pure food— organic, vegetarian, freshly prepared
- Exercise — We encourage vigorous physical activity every day, whether in our 60,000 square-foot recreation center or outside.
- Early bedtime — we encourage students to be in bed by 10 p.m., so they’re as fresh and alert and dynamic as possible the next day. Homework assignments can be finished before then. This means you won’t have the stress of staying up late to study, which does not promote learning, good health, or well-being.
“The key to growth is the introduction of higher dimensions of consciousness into our awareness.”
—Lao Tzu, Chinese philosopher, 6th century BC
“The true purpose of education is to cherish and unfold the seed of immortality already sown within us; to develop, to their fullest extent, the capacities of every kind with which the God who made us has endowed us.”
—Anna Jameson, British author and educator, 1794–1860
“The highest education is that which does not merely give us information but makes our life in harmony with all existence.”
—Rabindranath Tagore, Indian poet, 1861-1941
“Truth is within ourselves: it takes no rise from outward things, what’er you may believe. There is an inmost center in us all, where truth abides in fullness.”
—Robert Browning, English poet, 1812-1889
“Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel.”
—Socrates, Greek philosopher, 469-399 BC
Videos about Consciousness-based Education
What’s Been Missing from Education?
What's Been Missing From Education: fact-based as opposed to Consciousness-Based education
About Consciousness-Based Education
MUM students and faculty discuss Consciousness-Based education
Expanding Your Ability to Learn
Sustainable Living Professor Lonnie Gamble explains MUM's emphasis on developing students.
Visitors Weekends at Maharishi University
What to expect at an MUM Visitors Weekend...
Relating the Outside to the Inside
Traditional fields of knowledge come alive with the knowledge of the inner Self.
David Lynch: Consciousness and Creativity
Why We Came to MUM
Students speak on the theme of "Why We Came to MUM."
One Course Per Month
MUM students talk about the "Block system"
Finals Week – It’s Crazy!
Why we have no finals week.