Vision, Founding Goals, Mission Statement, Core Values
All people everywhere enjoy life in its full potential, naturally full and progressive, free from problems and suffering, in harmony with others, supporting and nourishing all of life.
- To develop the full potential of the individual
- To realize the highest ideal of education
- To improve governmental achievements
- To solve the age-old problem of crime and all behavior that brings unhappiness to our world family
- To bring fulfillment to the economic aspirations of individuals and society
- To maximize the intelligent use of the environment
- To achieve the spiritual goals of humanity in this generation
Maharishi University of Management was founded in 1971 by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi to fulfill the highest ideals of education. Foremost among these ideals is developing the full potential of consciousness in every student — to help students develop the ability to think and act in harmony with natural law and to lead fulfilled and successful lives. This fulfills the long-sought goal of education: to produce fully developed individuals, citizens who can fulfill their own aspirations while promoting all good in society.
MUM has pioneered a unique system of higher education, Consciousness-Based education, that systematically unfolds students’ full creative intelligence, the basis of student learning. Consciousness-Based education gives traditional academic study the foundation of complete knowledge of consciousness coupled with simple, natural, scientifically validated technologies for developing consciousness. These technologies are the Transcendental Meditation® (TM) and the TM-Sidhi® programs.
This integrated approach, which provides cutting-edge knowledge while systematically expanding intelligence and the capacity for learning, develops students’ ability to manage their lives successfully, to grow steadily in health, happiness, and wisdom, and to achieve professional success and personal fulfillment.
Our unique educational programs fulfill a commitment to four broad areas of responsibility:
- Holistic development of consciousness, mind, body, and behavior in each student
- Academic excellence — education at the forefront of knowledge in each discipline and proficiency in a set of Essential Learning Outcomes, including the ability to think holistically and analytically and to act effectively and ethically
- Scholarship that expands the domains of knowledge, expressed in all four areas of scholarship — discovery, teaching and learning, integration, and application
- Improved quality of life for the individual, the community, the nation, and the world
These shared values characterize our campus culture and guide University decision-making:
- Development of consciousness — We are committed to developing our full potential — intellectual, emotional, physical, and spiritual — through the Transcendental Meditation and TM-Sidhi programs. Development of consciousness is the foundation of Consciousness-Based education and of success in all aspects of life.
- Academic excellence — We promote engaged learning and intellectual inquiry and growth within a framework of Essential Learning Outcomes, grounded in an approach that connects the parts of knowledge to the wholeness of knowledge and the wholeness of knowledge to the Self, so that whatever students may be studying, they always feel at home. We are committed to continuous improvement of student learning.
- Health and happiness — We value a campus culture that promotes health and well-being, safety, enjoyment, positivity, and a spirit of fun.
- Sustainability — We are committed to creating a campus in harmony with natural law and a new model of sustainability that includes inner as well as outer sustainability. More about sustainability at MUM
- Unity within diversity — We celebrate a rich diversity of cultures, backgrounds, and values in our students, faculty, and staff, unified by the shared experience of the field of pure consciousness underlying all of life. More about diversity at MUM
- Community — We value kindness, respect, honesty, friendliness, and mutual support — byproducts of growth of consciousness.
- Excellence — We are committed to achieving excellence in all aspects of University life through continuous improvement.
- World peace — We are dedicated to creating national invincibility and world peace through the group practice of the Transcendental Meditation and TM-Sidhi programs.