New EcoFarmer One Year Certificate Program
How we take “New Farmer” programs to the next level
Enter our New Eco-Farmer program and become a change maker in the
fresh, local and organic farming sector, which is increasing sales at a
rate of 15-20% a year in the US. Leave behind industrial agriculture
with its animal confinements, pollution, ecological destruction, GMO
crops, and junk food production. Take a first step to enter the new
paradigm of the Eco-Farmer, who works to enrich the natural biology of
the soil so well it provides all the nutrients and protections that
plants need to flourish – and produce truly healthy food in the process.
From understanding and participating in natural cycles through
permaculture principles, to planning your own organic family farm, to
learning what makes up healthy soil and learning to heal damaged and
degraded farmland – you will engage in a comprehensive program that will
prepare you to step into the world of holistic farming. Our
consciousness / natural law based approach takes students beyond
standard organics to an understanding of themselves as a part of the
ecological whole, working in tune with nature.
In this one year certificate program you will combine academic study with plenty of hands -on experience. You will:
- Raise your own consciousness and realize how fundamental it is to ecofarming and all aspect of life.
- Understand the evolution of the land and its ecology
- Deepen your knowledge of permaculture and earn the ‘Permaculture Design Certification.’
- Apply permaculture principles plan your future farm
- Start to grow your own food in our gardens and greenhouses
- Connect with a thriving eco-farming community, farmers market, and local food scene
- Deepen your understanding of biology and how plants grow and function
- Study cutting edge soil science and learn how the complex web of
soil bacteria, fungi, protozoa, nematodes, and microarthropods interact
in a truly healthy soil –– and what that means for healthy food and
- Learn to grow your own soil biota for bumper crops that contain nutrients in the forms, amounts and balances that humans require
- Discover how to prepare high-quality, biologically active compost and compost tea, and how to apply it.
- Become eligible to apply for an internship at the Rodale Institute for Sustainable Agriculture in Pennsylvania with Dr. Elaine Ingham for practical field application of your year of study and experience.
Required courses, taken sequentially in this order. (See course details here)
- Science and Technology of Consciousness (MVS 108)
- Planning a Family Farm (SL A401)
- Permaculture Design (SL G101)
- Living Systems (SL A195)
- Ecology (SL A201)
- Plant Biology (SL A350)
- Living Soil (SL A301)
- Rodale Institute lab/field work option (subject to acceptance by Rodale Institute)
- Highly recommended: Organic Agriculture (SL-A101)
1. The full cost for tuition, room and board is about $34,000.
Federal Financial Aid is not available for this one year certificate
program. However, you can apply for a needs-based, Maharishi University
of Management Institutional Scholarship which can cover up to about half
the total cost.
2. The start date for this program is at the beginning of the academic year each August.
3. In this one year program you will be studying alongside students
taking their 4 year BA in Sustainable Living. All credits you gain will
be transferable to the 4 year degree if you should wish to continue and
broaden your studies.