||1. Why should I study accounting?
The United States is on the verge of a dramatic shortage of professional accountants, due to the approaching retirement of large numbers of accountants. So there is much opportunity in the field. Accounting experts understand “the language of business” and can communicate critical information about the financial condition and profitability of an organization. With a good knowledge of financial accounting, you will know how to record financial transactions, prepare financial statements, and analyze the results to advise management about ways to improve profitability and credit-worthiness. With a good knowledge of managerial accounting, you can develop insights for business planning, control of operations, and skillful decision-making about the responsible use of resources. Accountants help organizations to "wake up" to what is really happening on the way to creating a positive experience for customers. Gaining expertise in accounting is an excellent way to begin a business career. It can also open doors to many other professional opportunities for you in the futre. For example, many CEOs were accountants earlier in their careers.
2. Why should I study accounting at MUM?
Here are a few reasons why MUM is a great place to study accounting:
- We offer a well-designed accounting program that will prepare you to take professional examinations to become a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or a Certified Management Accountant (CMA).
- MUM students experience growth in executive decision-making skills through a well-respected interactive, online, competitive business simulation where we compete with other MBA schools. In each of the past three years, MUM teams have placed in the top 10% of all schools competing in North America.
- Through the regular practice of the Transcendental Meditation technique, MUM students discover that quality of life does not need to be sacrificed for the sake of a professional career. Our students typically experience significant growth in creativity, problem-solving ability, social interactions, clarity of mind, and physical health. They enjoy life more as they rise to higher levels of professional competence.
- MUM’s faculty encourages leading-edge concepts in sustainable business practices and Lean Management that promote adding value to customers while streamlining operations and eliminating waste in all forms. One of our professors, Dr. Andrew Bargerstock, was named “2009 LEI Excellence in Lean Accounting Professor” at the Lean Accounting Summit sponsored by The Lean Enterprise Institute and the Institute for Management Accountants.