MS in Maharishi AyurVeda and Integrative Medicine Online
In this program you gain valuable knowledge about Ayurveda, India’s ancient prevention-oriented system of natural medicine. You’ll study mind-body types, traditional pulse reading, and diet and lifestyle changes for optimal health. Qualifying graduates will be certified as Maharishi AyurVeda Practitioners.
What is Maharishi AyurVeda?
Ayurveda — which means “science of life” — is a traditional system of medicine originating in ancient India. Ayurveda is a comprehensive, prevention-oriented system of natural health that addresses the body, mind and environment of the individual in order for optimal wellness.
MUM teaches Maharishi AyurVeda℠, a unique form of ayurveda that has been re-evaluated from a scientific perspective for modern day use. Our programs integrate Maharishi AyurVeda with the modern, scientific understanding of health to take an integrated approach to medicine.
Learn from Home
Our three-year part-time online program provides a flexible schedule, allowing students to continue their current jobs and activities. The average amount of work required for this program is 8 to 9 hours per week, which includes class time and assignments.
You’ll also participate in an annual five-day in-residence training course on our Fairfield, Iowa campus, during which you’ll learn clinical applications of this knowledge.
What You’ll Learn
In the MS program, you’ll learn the basics of a range of natural therapeutic techniques, including:
- Beneficial herbal supplements for specific imbalances and organ systems
- Traditional purification therapies
- Principles of biological rhythms and their effects on health
- An introduction to the fundamentals of Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Clinical applications of homeopathy
Read more about courses in the program ➤
- Practice the Transcendental Meditation® (TM) technique to reduce stress, boost creativity, and enhance your ability to learn
- Enjoy the support of an online community of enthusiastic peers and experienced professors who will guide your studies every step of the way
Our program gives students real-world training to practice health care with a scientific but natural approach rooted in the knowledge of Maharishi AyurVeda.
Through lectures, discussions, and live case studies during the annual in-residence sessions, you’ll receive hands-on practical training and gain the experience you need to practice confidently after graduation.
As certified Maharishi AyurVeda Practitioners, graduates of our MS will be qualified to work in partnership with licensed health practitioners, in wellness clinics, or independently (as allowed by state law).
For more information on state laws related to ayurveda practice, see our FAQ.
For information on the cost of our Online Master’s degree programs, visit our Financial Aid Calculator here.
Apply for the Online MS in MAVIM
Want more information?
This degree gives systematic and advanced practical training in the many natural, time-tested modalities of Maharishi AyurVeda. The first courses provide an overview of the entire curriculum. The eight central courses each focus on one of the eight major organ systems of the body. Students will gain an understanding of the main disorders of that system from both modern medicine and AyurVeda perspectives.
Specifically, students learn:
- Maharishi AyurVeda anatomy and physiology in context of the eight major organ systems
- Comprehensive AyurVedic health assessment techniques, including traditional pulse diagnosis, tongue diagnosis, AyurVedic health history, assessment of mind-body type
- Individualized diet and lifestyle recommendations for mind-body types and disorders
- An introduction to the clinical applications of Traditional Chinese medicine, Homeopathy, Osteopathic manipulative therapy, Chiropractic, other natural medical systems and modern integrative medicine
- Therapeutics for mind, body and environment from Maharishi AyurVeda to prevent and treat common and chronic disorders, including:
- Herbal supplements especially beneficial for specific imbalances and organ systems
- Traditional purification therapies (Pancha Karma)
- Five sense therapies (touch, smell, sight, taste, sound)
- Principles of Vedic Architecture
- Principles of biological rhythms and their effects on health – Maharishi Jyotish
- Principles of Vedic exercise, including Maharishi Yoga asanas
- Students also gain skills in clinical practice and integration with a five-day, in-residence intensive at the end of each year of study.
The Goal of the program
The goal of the program is to train health care professionals in the knowledge and application of the most clinically effective, side effect free diagnostic and therapeutic modalities available in Maharishi AyurVeda, and to provide an introduction to major systems of natural medicine and the applications of integrative health care in a scientific, evidence-based framework.