Math and Computer Science Track
This track blends mathematics courses with courses in computer science and a senior project in computer science.
- Students are prepared for a career in a technical area or, with careful attention to electives and other courses, for graduate study in business and other professional or scientific areas.
- Success in this track (minimum 3.0 average) leads directly to the MS in Computer Science at MUM. Students are prepared to complete the Master of Science in Computer Science at Maharishi University of Management in just over a year.
- By also majoring in education and taking some additional mathematics courses, students can graduate prepared to teach mathematics in primary or secondary schools.
- Although it is possible to proceed to graduate study in mathematics through this track, it is preferable to do so through the Mathematics Track.
In addition to the requirements below for the BS in Mathematics, students need to satisfy the general requirements for a bachelor’s degree.
Students in all tracks of the math major must complete:
- MATH 281 Calculus 1
- MATH 282 Calculus 2
- MATH 283 Calculus 3
- MATH 286 Linear Algebra 1
Students in the Mathematics and Computer Science Track must also complete:
- Math 272 Discrete Math
- Math 351 Probability
- CS 201 Procedural Programming
- CS 203 Object-Oriented Programming
- CS 221 Data Structures
- CS 495 Software Development
- CS 496 Senior Project
4 credits (one course) chosen from the following four courses:
- CS 310 Systems Programming
- or CS 321 Introduction to Algorithms
- or CS 363 Computer Organization and Architecture
- or CS 350 Programming Languages
An additional 8 credits of 400-level Computer Science courses
In addition, in their final year, students in the Mathematics and Computer Science Track are required to:
- Take an assessment test to be chosen by the Department of Mathematics, and to submit the results to the Department of Mathematics. Students, who take the general Graduate Record Examination (GRE) for entry into graduate school or for other purposes, may satisfy this requirement by simply submitting their GRE results to the Department of Mathematics.Students not taking the GRE will need to consult the Department of Mathematics to determine an appropriate test.
Students completing the Mathematics and Computer Science Track of the Mathematics Major with a 3.0 GPA are eligible to continue on to Maharishi University of Management’s Master of Science in Computer Science and may be able to complete it in just over a year. Consult the Department of Computer Science for full information.