Health is all about the quality of your digestion. With strong digestion, you can maintain your body’s ideal weight while feeling great. Here are some tips from Maharishi AyurVeda on how to optimize digestion through diet:
- A cup of boiled milk for breakfast or dinner can work wonders by eliminating cravings and bloating. If you are especially hungry, you can accompany the milk with a healthy snack like almond butter, blueberries, raspberries, or a light soup. Click here for a spiced hot milk recipe.
- Maharishi AyurVeda recommends eating the largest meal of the day when digestion is strongest, between noon and 1 pm. This is the best time to eat heavy foods, like meat, cheese, and larger meals.
- Before eating, ask yourself: How much nutrition will I get from this meal? This can help you to eat more mindfully and consume fewer empty calories. Remember that your food should add to your health instead of detracting from it.
- Maharishi AyurVeda recommends getting all six tastes–sweet, salty, pungent, astringent, bitter, and sour– in every meal. Combining all of these tastes makes a meal especially satiating.
- Spices like pepper, cumin, coriander, turmeric, ginger, and fenugreek make food taste great and have the added benefit of supercharging digestion. Add them to your food when possible for a healthy kick.
- A food especially beneficial to digestion is barley. Add barley to soups, eat it alongside vegetables as part of a meal, or make barley water by adding some barley to water and boiling. Cool the water and sip throughout the day.
- Snacks are not recommended by Maharishi AyurVeda, and it is best to eat meals 3-6 hours apart to allow time for full digestion.
Remember: proper digestion is important, so protect your stomach and help it to do its job most effectively. To learn more health tips from Maharishi AyurVeda, click here.