Visit Us Apply Request Info Navigation Close
Maharishi Universityof Management

MUM student Joshua Laraby grew up in Escanaba, Michigan. After spending five years in a corporate job in the grocery industry, he needed a challenge and decided to get a degree. He has always had an interest in alternative medicine so he began a pre-medicine program at the University of Wisconsin. After his first year, however, he noticed a Facebook ad for MUM and after browsing the MUM website he found what he had been looking for. 

Undergraduate student Joshua Laraby

“The pre-med track is integrated with Maharishi AyurVeda, and that’s really special to me because I couldn’t find that anywhere else,” said Joshua. “I had also been looking for a regular technique. I wanted a tool for rebalancing and recharging.”

Joshua likes the fact that the practice of the Transcendental Meditation® technique is integrated into the class schedule. He also appreciates the block system because he finds it easier and more exciting to study one subject at a time. “To be able to focus on one subject is very powerful for me,” he said. “It made a huge change in my appreciation for education.”

With the organizers of the Suspiciously Nutritious Snacks event

Over the past three years, Joshua has been active in the student community in many ways. He served as treasurer of the MUM Student Government, participated in the MUM Investment Club and the MUM LGBT Club, and provided training for the Student Life Department on LGBT awareness.

He has also contributed his talents to the larger Fairfield community. He served as treasurer and public relations officer in the Rotaract Club of Fairfield, the collegiate level of Rotary International, and created new events such as the sustainability-oriented Fair on the Square and a fundraiser for local families in need. In addition, he developed and organized a Fairfield community health education event, called Suspiciously Nutritious Snacks, focusing on youth and their families and bringing together many local organizations and businesses.

Joshua is also interested in investing and entrepreneurship and is considering a minor in finance. In his free time, he has been contracting as property manager for the building where he resides. After he graduates, Joshua wishes to pursue a degree in naturopathic medicine. “My idea is to bring modern science and alternative medicine closer together and that makes me excited,” he said.

MUM Achievements is a periodical publication that highlights the achievements of our university community.

Request Info

I am a US citizen or Green Card holder *

* required fields

Send Request