English Language Requirement
English Language Requirements for International Degree-Seeking Students
All international students who wish to apply to an MUM undergraduate or graduate level degree program must submit official English proficiency test scores (either TOEFL or IELTS) administered within the previous two years. Students from Canada, the U.K., Australia or New Zealand are exempt from this requirement.
Students with scores lower than the thresholds listed below will need to enroll in the full-time ESL program. After successful completion of the ESL program, students can apply for their planned academic program at MUM. (note this will require a separate and new application)
For students pursuing undergraduate study:
- TOEFL: scores below 550 paper test; below 80 internet test, and below 213 computer test
- IELTS: below 6.0 overall score
- PTE: below 51 overall score
For students pursuing a graduate degree:
- TOEFL: scores below 575 paper test; below 90 internet test, below 230 computer-based test
- IELTS: below 6.5 overall score
- PTE: below 58 overall score
Students with scores higher than those listed above on any one of these tests will not need ESL and may begin taking classes in their degree program upon arrival.
Students who wish to apply only to the MUM English as a Second Language (ESL) program do not need to submit a TOEFL, IELTS or PTE score.