Biodynamic Agriculture Course
Learn the Basics of Biodynamic Agriculture
Course dates: April 3-April 27, 2017
Do you want to learn more about sustainable farming? Here’s your chance! In this course, taught by international biodynamic agriculture expert Dr. A. Thimmaiah, PhD, you will learn efficient methods for carbon sequestration, address climate change, gain farming skills, and more.
Whether you are a student, farmer, amateur gardener, activist, organic food organization, or agriculturally-based organization; this course is for you.
In This Course, You Will:
- Gain a deep understanding of the relationship of earth, life and human beings from scientific and eco-spiritual perspectives
- Expand your understanding of the principles, preparations and practices of biodynamic agriculture techniques
- Learn how to replenish depleted soil and re-establish biological diversity
- Get hands-on farming experience that you can start using immediately
- Receive a certificate in Biodynamic Agriculture from Maharishi University of Management (MUM) and Demeter Association Inc., USA.
What is Biodynamic Agriculture?
Biodynamic agriculture is an advanced form of organic agriculture. In Biodynamic agriculture, every farm is treated as a “living organism” where all farm activities are self-supporting, interrelated and influence each other. Unique Biodynamic practices include:
- Following lunar rhythms to guide planting and cultivation
- Using herbal preparations to enhance the composting process
- Spraying specially-aged solutions on soil and plants to aid their growth and development
Biodynamic farms are self-sufficient and biologically diverse. Crops and livestock are integrated; nutrients are recycled to nurture the health of the soil, crops, animals, and the farmers.
Scientific research over the past two decades has shown that biodynamic agriculture is one of the most efficient methods for sequestering carbon and reversing climate change.
Topics of Study
Topics you’ll study in our Biodynamic Agriculture course include:
- Modern Agriculture Crisis and Climate Change
- Understanding Dr. Rudolf Steiner’s 8 Lectures on Agriculture through Modern Science.
- Principles and Practices of Biodynamic Agriculture
- Nine Biodynamic Preparations: Making and Utilization
- Biodynamic Composting
- Liquid Manure, Cow Pat Pit (CPP) and Other Formulations
- Crop Pest and Disease Management
- Animal Husbandry and Biodynamic Agriculture
- Converting a Farm to Biodynamic
- Biodynamic Certification Procedures
Apply for the Biodynamic Agriculture Course
Want more information?
As part of our Biodynamic Agriculture course you’ll practice the Transcendental Meditation technique daily. This evidence-based technique has been proven to have mental, physiological, behavioral, and physical benefits that enable you to learn more efficiently and effectively.
The TM technique allows your active mind to easily settle inward, through quieter levels of thought, until you experience the most silent and peaceful level of your own awareness — pure consciousness.
Dr. Appachanda Thimmaiah, PhD
The course will be taught by Dr. Thimmaiah, an expert in organic, biodynamic and Vedic agriculture who has developed many low-cost, low-carbon, green approaches for rural farming utilizing natural resources that are benefiting thousands of farmers in different countries.
Globally, Dr. Thimmaiah has played a leading role in the development, coordination, implementation of strategies, programs & policies addressing the issues of:
- Food security
- Climate smart sustainable agriculture
- Rural poverty reduction
- Sustainable development
- Gross National Happiness (GNH)
Dr. Thimmaiah has advised leading agribusiness companies, international organizations (FAO, IFAD, ICIMOD, IDRC and SNV), non-governmental agencies, farmer groups and research organizations on food and agriculture and undertaken projects in India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bhutan, Costa Rica, Holland, and Italy.
As a consultant to the Royal Government of Bhutan from 2008-2013, he developed the organic standards, guidebooks, training manuals and zero-cost certification system to empower the farmers and facilitate the Himalayan nation to go 100% organic by 2020.
Dr. Thimmaiah holds a PhD in Biodynamic agriculture from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) in Delhi, India and serves as Associate Professor of Department of Sustainable Living at MUM.
This course also includes guest lectures by:
- Mr. Jim Fullmer, Director Demeter Association Inc.
- Dr. Tom Newmark, founder of Sacred Seeds and co-owner of Finca Luna Nueva, a biodynamic farming operation in Costa Rica
- Mr. Robert Karp, US
- Mr. Peter Proctor, New Zealand
- Mr. Ivo Bertaina, Italy
- Mr. Steffano Belloti, Italy
- Mr. Abraham Jacob, India
- Ms. Rachel Pomeroy, New Zealand
Demeter Association, Inc.
This course is offered in association with Demeter Association, Inc. The mission of Demeter Association is to enable people to farm successfully and in accordance with Biodynamic® practices and principles while its vision is to heal the planet through agriculture in accord with nature.
For more information about Demeter Association, Inc., please see their website.
How much does the course cost?
Do I have to know Transcendental Meditation before I take this course?
If I don’t know TM already, where can I learn technique?
Where is Fairfield located?