The Pre-Integrative Medicine Track offers foundational courses in both modern science and Maharishi AyurVeda. It prepares students for medical school and graduate training in other health professions. Integrative medicine is the practice of modern, conventional medicine integrated with natural, complementary and alternative medical practices.
This track is particularly suited for students who want to pursue a career in integrative health care as a physician or other licensed health professional.
The pre-integrative medicine track offers courses in the following areas of study that are required for most modern (allopathic), osteopathic, and chiropractic medical schools. These academic areas are generally included in the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT).
- Physics: Study of matter, energy, space, and time, and their interrelationships with one another.
- General chemistry: Study of elements and their compounds, except those containing carbon.
- Organic chemistry: Study of carbon-containing compounds.
- Biochemistry: Study of basic chemical structures and chemical transformations that take place in living systems.
- Biology: Study of living organisms, molecular and cell biology, and human anatomy and physiology.
Note: MUM general education courses offer necessary writing skills and math proficiency to prepare students to take these courses in the pre-integrative medicine track. Graduating from the pre-integrative medicine track fully prepares students to enter the dual degree MD MS track in The American University of Integrative Sciences St. Maarten School of Medicine (AUIS) enabling seamless career path – from BS to MD MS.
Some medical schools and health care training programs may require additional coursework that is not required by the major. It is recommended that students consult with the admissions office of the school they are planning to attend after graduation to determine if they need to take additional classes.
In the area of foundations of natural medicine, we offer the following areas of study in Maharishi AyurVeda:
- Pulse reading: Learning to detect balance and imbalance in the body by feeling the pulse.
- Diet: Study of diets that balance and nourish the physiology.
- Daily and seasonal routine: Study of how to align the individual life with the daily and seasonal rhythms of natural law.
- Family health: Study of how to promote health in the areas of preconception, pregnancy, delivery, and postnatal care.
- Maharishi Yoga Asanas: Learning to use Vedic body postures to enliven mind-body coordination to support pure awareness, the state of yoga.
- Maharishi AyurVeda Wellness Consultant Training: Training students to be able to consult with clients, family, and friends to help them achieve higher levels of health and wellness through Maharishi AyurVeda.
- Maharishi AyurVeda Wellness Consultant Practicum: Practicing the knowledge of Maharishi AyurVeda with clients in a clinical setting while under the supervision of experts in Maharishi AyurVeda and modern medicine.
- Scientific foundations of health: From both modern science and ancient Vedic science, students will learn foundations of human anatomy and physiology.
For more information, contact us using the blue form at the bottom of this page.
Program Director - Liis Mattik
Dr. Mattik has over two decades of experience in developing and teaching courses in Maharishi AyurVeda and Vedic Science. Courses taught by Dr. Mattik include: Maharishi Self-PulseTM Reading; Maharishi YogaTM Asanas; and Maharishi Diet, Digestion, and NutritionTM. She has been a teacher of the Transcendental Meditation program since 1991