BS in Physiology and Health
Become a natural health professional
Are you ready to be part of the global shift towards natural health and integrative medicine? In our BS in Physiology and Health program, you’ll study prevention-oriented natural medicine in a low-stress environment that supports your personal growth. By the time you graduate, you will be ready to start your career in natural health.
Features of the BS in Physiology and Health:
- Learn about health from the perspectives of both ayurveda and modern medicine
- Practice the Transcendental Meditation® technique as part of your daily routine to reduce stress, enhance your mental clarity, and promote your spiritual growth
- Be a part of a friendly, healthy campus community who will support your personal growth
Topics you’ll study:
- Courses in modern medical science, including biology, anatomy, and chemistry, to provide the foundation for a strong career
- Training to become a Maharishi AyurVeda Consultant who can consult with clients to provide them with ayurvedic knowledge
- General liberal arts courses that will increase your creativity, perception, and problem-solving abilities; skills which will serve you in all areas of life
What is Maharishi AyurVeda?
Ayurveda — which means “science of life” — is a traditional system of medicine originating in ancient India. Ayurveda is a comprehensive, prevention-oriented system of natural health that addresses the body, mind and environment of the individual in order to provide a holistic solution.
MUM teaches Maharishi AyurVeda℠, a unique form of ayurveda that has been re-evaluated from a scientific perspective for modern day use. Our programs integrate Maharishi AyurVeda with the modern, scientific understanding of health to take an integrated approach to medicine.
Our class schedule incorporates daily practice of the Transcendental Meditation technique, which has been proven to reduce stress, enhance clarity of mind, and improve overall health.
Our students often report feeling happier, being more relaxed, and learning more easily after practicing meditation regularly, and the practice is even being incorporated by other university medical programs to help their students handle stress, such as at the American University of Integrative Sciences School of Medicine.
Apply for the Special Research PhD
Want more information?
Learn more with less stress
College doesn’t have to be stressful — that’s why our university uses a block system where students take just one full-time course per month.
Instead of focusing on 4-5 classes at once, our students dive deeply into one subject at a time and learn the knowledge deeply without the stress of balancing multiple classes.
In addition, MUM’s small class sizes mean that there are plenty of opportunities for class discussions, hands-on projects, and one-on-one attention from our experienced faculty.
In our program, you’ll be doing more than just learning about health: you’ll be living a healthy lifestyle and feeling the benefits for yourself.
Organic vegetarian meals, single dorm rooms, an ideal routine, and easy access to our rec center are just a few of the healthy elements that our students enjoy every day.
During your time at our university, you will be surrounded by a community of people who are passionate about researching natural and integrative cures for today’s illnesses.
In addition to studying under some of the greatest modern minds in natural medicine, you’ll meet supportive friends who share your values and are committed to making the world a better, healthier place.
Areas of study
Our BS in Physiology and Health degree offers two specialization tracks, each of which will prepare you with the skills you need for graduate school, graduate training, or a career in your chosen area.
- Maharishi AyurVeda Wellness Consultant Track to become a certified Maharishi AyurVeda Wellness Consultant
- Pre-Integrative Medicine Track to prepare yourself for medical school, naturopathy school, graduate certification programs, and other career ventures in the field of integrative medicine
For information on the cost of our Bachelor’s degree programs, visit our Cost & Aid Calculator here.
Apply for BS in Physiology and Health
Want more information?
Program Director: Dr. Liis Mattik
Professor Liis Mattik, PhD, is a natural, holistic, preventive healthcare practitioner, educator and scientist. She has been teaching, training, educating, overseeing curricula, and consulting people in methods of Maharishi AyurVeda for over 20 years in University and public sectors. She has been giving individualized recommendations for maintaining or improving health and preventing or reversing aging by utilizing pulse diagnosis, diet, digestion, nutrition, herbs, minerals, essential oils, color therapy, yoga asanas — body postures, pranayama — breathing therapies, prevention of disease, seasonal purification program including Pancha Karma, and the Transcendental Meditation™ technique.