1. The most important tool for reviewing and practicing for math placement is the ALEKS Placement, Preparation and Learning program. This is part of the math placement program used by MUM for the courses:
A 6-month ALEKS PPL Module is included with your math placement assessment package, and is covered by your tuition fees. You are strongly advised to use this means of reviewing and practicing for math placement. The initial assessment is not proctored and can be taken anywhere from a computer with Internet access. You are given a personalized program of study based on your initial math placement assessment results. After studying in this program for some time, you are free to come for up to 4 proctored re-assessments to try to place higher. Please see the Guide to ALEKS PPL Math Placement for complete details and how to gain access to this program.
2. To review and practice for the courses:
you will need to use other resources. We suggest you try one of the following books available from the MUM Library for Calculus 1. The chapters to study for Calculus 1 are given.
Important Advice: Don’t just start reading a book! You won’t get very far if you do. First work through the relevant chapter reviews and chapter tests. Only then read the sections of the book pertaining to problems you had trouble with. The key to doing well on the test is to work problems, work problems, work problems.
For Calculus 1:
For Calculus 2, you will need to study in addition:
The other books listed above for Calculus 1 are also useful for Calculus 2. You would need to cover in those books the same topics as given for the Hughes/Hallett book at the top of the Calculus 1 list above.
3. If you wish to use a book for studying Basic Math, Elementary Algebra, or Intermediate Algebra, we recommend:
4. For Functions and Graphs 1, we recommend:
5. For Functions and Graphs 2, we recommend:
6. Other online resources you may find useful for various levels are
In this program you will participate in the creation of an original Web-TV Series, working alongside fellow students and industry professionals. This unique opportunity is being made available to a select number of students who will work together to write, produce, edit, and distribute the series. Every student will work in different capacities throughout the course of the production.
Enter your name and email address to receive: