Accounting experts understand “the language of business” and can communicate critical information about the financial condition and profitability of a business. In the USA, experts project there will be a strong job market in years ahead due to the approaching retirement of large numbers of accountants. Accountants who prepare well with a solid set of analytic skills and broad understanding of the various management functions are destined for productive careers.
Our MBA Accounting students learn these practical career-building tools:
- Accounting theory and practice to sit for professional exams as Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
- Computer-based accounting software including QuickBooks
- Advanced Excel spreadsheet functions like pivot tables and lookups to develop insightful reports for management decision-making
- Data mining techniques using IBM’s sophisticated SPSS software
- Team-based strategic and operational planning/implementation skills
- Optional XBRL certification training as a first step toward developing competency in this emerging worldwide technical standard for reporting and exchanging accounting data.
After several months of MBA Foundation classes, you will participate in a competitive online business simulation (Capsim Foundation) that challenges students to work in teams of 4-5 people while making a series of decisions running a fictional company. We compete with MBA programs around the world.
- From 2010-2013, our MBAs performed well in comparison to other MBA teams worldwide.
- In the years 2012 and 2013, eight of nine MBA teams placed in the Top 10 in the world.
- In 2011 and 2013, MUM produced #1 ranked teams in the world. This objective performance demonstrates the effectiveness of MBA Accounting education at MUM.
Click here to read more about the simulation.
The MBA with Accounting Specialization at MUM has two tracks to accommodate your level of knowledge and experience. Identify the track that fits you best! We offer courses to prepare students to take the professional examinations that are required to become Certified Public Accountants (CPA) and Certified Management Accountants (CMA). (NOTE: We have a separate MBA program for people who are already professional accountants – see details here)
Fresh Start Track is an MBA for students with no work experience and little academic background in accounting. MUM prepares you for success as a professional accountant in 11 months to 18 months (depending on your academic background and professional work experience). There is no curricular practical training in this track.
Strong Background Track requires at least 4 accounting courses. No work experience is necessary. The length of the program varies (11 to 18 months) based on previous academic background. There is no curricular practical training in this track. It is well-suited for people who possess a strong academic background in accounting and business, and who want to earn their MBA degree quickly.
Accounting Specialization Courses
MBA students earn the Specialization in Accounting by taking at least 16 credits from among the following courses. Not all courses are available every term or every year.
- MGT 5150 Financial Accounting (4 credits)
- MGT 5160 Managerial Accounting (4 credits)
- MGT 5141 Intermediate Accounting I (4 credits)
- MGT 5142 Intermediate Accounting II (4 credits)
- MGT 5152 Auditing for Financial Accountants – CPA Review (4 credits)
- MGT 5131 Taxation (2 credits)
- MGT 5852 Lean Accounting Transformation (2 credits)
- MGT 5859 US and International Accounting Practices (2 credits)
- any of the three additional CPA Review or two CMA Review courses
XBRL Certificate Training — in the MBA program at Maharishi University
Dr. Andrew Bargerstock describes MUM's new training course for certification as an (XBRL) specialist.
Naya Raj Baral on Maharishi University of Management
Naya Raj Baral talks about the experience of coming to MUM and then finding a job