Become a Global Information Systems Executive
Online Graduate Certification in MIS from Maharishi University of Management helps you get there!
Begins Fall 2013.
Are you an ambitious Information Technology (IT) professional with a vision, aspiring to move into an IT leadership position?
Information technology is changing the world incredibly fast. It is offering opportunities to create new products, new business models, new efficiencies, and to get closer to customers around the world than ever before. There is a great demand for visionary and dynamic IT executives who know how to harness new information technologies and deploy them effectively in the cause of new models and new growth. You can almost write your own new business card!
• Unique blend of Information
Systems knowledge and
Development of Consciousness
• Completely ONLINE!
• Flexible pace for 2 to 4 semesters
• Top-notch faculty with
distinguished academic and
|Download a color PDF with
full program description.
Maharishi University of Management (M.U.M.) is delighted to introduce* a competitively priced 18-credit Online Graduate Certificate program in Management Information Systems (MIS) that can help take your career to new heights. It can help you transition to, or make yourself more effective in, Business Analyst and IT leadership roles.
The program will provide you with the theories, skills and expertise to strategically deploy information technologies and drive new business value. Upon completion of this program, you will:
This program can be completed entirely online in one to two years depending on your needs. It will begin with 2 credits of M.U.M.’s unique course on the Science and Technology of Consciousness (STC)**, and continue with 16 credits of MIS courses to be selected from a wide range of course offerings.
- Understand the social and organizational context, and how to align IT with organizational strategy to drive differentiation, collaboration, and competitive advantage.
- Understand business information requirements and processes, and how to design and deploy integrated enterprise systems and web applications, under budget and on schedule.
- Understand IT Infrastructure including emerging technologies, and how to make it cost-effective, resilient, secure and flexible.
- Understand the world of Big Data, and how to structure and manage it for superior information access, insight and agility.
Before starting the second course, the student will be required to take instruction in the Transcendental Meditation (TM) technique at a local or regional TM Center. The cost of instruction in the Transcendental Meditation technique is separate and is the responsibility of the student. The local TM instructor will submit a document verifying the completion of instruction. It is recommended that students arrange for instruction during the first course.
For students who are new to M.U.M.’s Consciousness-based Education℠, this program will provide a unique blend of MIS knowledge and total knowledge of consciousness that together can help launch your career on a faster track.
Upon graduation from the MIS Certificate program, students will also have the option to complete the MBA degree at MUM with an additional 42 credits of study over two years of half-time study in the Evening-Weekend MBA program, that will also go online in the Fall 2013 semester.
List of Courses
Required courses for both tracks:
MGT 5410: Information Systems Foundations: Upon completing this course, the students will be fully conversant in the use of information technology to enable business processes and drive organizational success. (4 credits)
STC 508: Science and Technology of Consciousness
1. MGT 5412: Information Systems Strategy: Students will learn to how to prioritize and direct information technology resources to help achieve the organizational purpose. (2 credits)
2. MGT 5414: Management of Information Systems: Students will learn how IT tasks and departments should be managed to ensure cost-effective and timely completion of IT objectives. (2 credits)
3. MGT 5420: Information Systems Program and Project Management: Students will learn how to manage software development, systems implementation, and other projects in an IT environment. (4 credits)
4. MGT 5440: Enterprise Business Processes and Applications: Students will learn how to model business processes and manage off-the-shelf application packages for enterprise resource management. (4 credits)
1. MGT 5450: Database Management Systems: Students will learn how to design new database structures and how to manage database systems. (4 credits)
2. MGT 5460: Business Intelligence and Data Mining: Students will learn how to capture, cleanse and transform data into a data warehouse; and how that data can be mined to generate new insights. (4 credits)
3. MGT 5470: Systems Analysis and Design: Students will learn the Systems Development Lifecycle, and how to gather requirements, rationalize them, and design software systems.(4 credits)
4. MGT 5480: Information Technology Security: Students will learn how to secure systems and data against cyber-attacks as well as internal security threats. (4 credits)
You can find more complete description of courses here.
All students in the Graduate Certificate in MIS must take the core course Information Systems Foundations (MGT 5410). Beyond that, they must take 12 additional credits in MIS from the list below and one STC course (2 credits) for a total of 18 graduate credits. Of the 12 MIS credits, at least four must be from the managerial courses, and at least four from the technical courses.
MGT 5410 Information Systems Foundations (4 cr)
STC/Forest course (2 cr)
Managerial Courses (at least 4 credits)
MGT 5412 Information Systems Strategy (2 cr)
MGT 5414 Management of Information Systems (2 cr)
MGT 5420 Information Systems Program and Project Management (4 cr)
MGT 5430 Enterprise Business Processes and Applications (4 cr)
Technical Courses (at least 4 credits)
MGT 5450 Data Management Systems (4 cr)
MGT 5460 Business Data Warehousing and Analytics (4 cr)
MGT 5470 Systems Analysis and Design (4 cr)
MGT 5480 IT Security (4 cr)
Applicants must have a minimum of an undergraduate degree in computer science, engineering, science, business management, or information systems with a 3.0 or higher grade point average. Applicants should have at least 3 years of work experience in the IT field in a technical or team leadership role. Applicants should be currently working and interested in achieving this certification in a distance education mode. F-1 students are not eligible for this program.
• Tuition: ($400 per credit)
• Books: approximately $50-$100 per courseIf the student has already taken STC or SCI courses through the University sometime in the past, then the STC course is waived, and the cost of the program is reduced by $800.
• Instruction in the Transcendental Meditation technique: To locate a certified TM instructor in your area, visit www.tm.org or call 1-888-532-7686. Cost of TM instruction will vary by country.
Tentative start date is September 2, 2013. You can contact us for more information about this exciting new program.