||To be accepted into the major in education, students must be in their third year of college study. Students may take up to 18 credits of coursework (the minor requirement) in education before being formally admitted, though it is recommended that students go through the admissions process as soon as possible.
- General Education Requirement: completed course work in the humanities, mathematics, biological or physical sciences, and the social or behavioral sciences.
- Personal Maturity: a written or phone recommendation from a University faculty member who knows the student well. In addition, applicants submit a brief statement of purpose. A personal interview with a member of the faculty of the Department of Education may be requested.
- General Academic Ability: an official record of previous undergraduate work showing a grade point average of 2.5 or better. Candidates are expected to have a 3.0 average or better in their subject field.
- Performance in Education Courses: a GPA of 3.0 or better in education courses taken.
- Students whose native language is not English are required to have a TOEFL score of 550 or its equivalent on another standardized test of English language competence.