Faculty & Staff
Attendance and Punctuality
Copyright and Fair Use Policies
Development of Consciousness
Directed Studies
Faculty MyMUM Tutorial
Satisfactory Student Progress
Transfer Credit Policy
Home >  Faculty & Staff >  Faculty Admin >  Policies >  Grading > 
Grading Policies    

Evaluation of each student’s abilities and achievements is an integral aspect of the University. Among the means of evaluation are class participation, oral and written examinations, projects, and papers. In addition, to receive academic credit for any course, students are expected to attend all classes and participate fully. Grades are emailed to students for each course as soon as the Enrollment Center receives the grades from the faculty. Attached to each grade report, students also receive their full grade history, which includes the Grade Point Average (GPA) and Development of Consciousness grades for previous semesters.The Development of Consciousness Department emails students their Progress Report after each Block.

General Grade Definitions 

Grading for Instructional Courses

Grades Points (per credit)
AH 4.00 (A with Honors)
A+ 4.00 (exceptional)
A 4.00 (excellent)
A- 3.70
B+ 3.30 
B 3.00 (good)
B- 2.70 
C+ 2.30 
C 2.00 (adequate)
C- 1.70 
NC 0.00 (No Credit)

Grade Codes Not Used in Computing Grade Point Average
P Pass
NP No Pass
I Incomplete
W Withdrawal
PW Pass/Waive
AU Audit363
H Honors 
NCR Course was repeated or replaced 
Grading for Development of Consciousness Courses
Semester Grades
H  Honors
P  Pass
NP  No Pass

Grade Descriptions

Though professors may apply different standards in their courses, the faculty have agreed upon the following general descriptors for the basic four grades given for assignments, examinations, and courses at the University:

A   The grade of “A” is given for work that is excellent. It is distinctive and exceptional. It goes beyond competence and exhibits a high level of insight, critical evaluation, and/or awareness of the subtleties or nuances of a subject. Any work meriting this grade succeeds as a coherent whole, with clear command of the details that make up the whole.

B The grade of “B” is given for work that is good. This work demonstrates basic comprehension of the major concepts of the course and competency with respect to the skills identified in the learning objectives of the course.

C The grade of “C” is given for work that meets the minimal expectations of the faculty as identified in the learning objectives of the course. Though not necessarily complete, this work is adequate to pass the course. The broad outline of the subject seems to have been grasped, along with many of the major concepts.

NC (No Credit) — This grade is given to work that substantially misses the broad goals of the course as outlined in the syllabus. This work does not demonstrate comprehension of the assigned work, even at a basic level. This work may have been done without fully reading the assignment and/or coming to class. The grade of “NC” is also given for failure to complete 70% of the required work in the course (e.g. class participation, homework and other assignments) and for excessive absences as described above.

P, NP, NC (Pass//No Pass/No Credit) — These grades are used in many Forest block courses, as well as in laboratory, fieldwork, practicum courses, and occasionally for other courses. The “P” grade is not included in the GPA, but is equivalent to a “C” or better for undergraduate students and a “B” or better for academic courses for graduate students.

I (Incomplete) — This grade can be given for major academic work that cannot be completed by the end of the block due to illness, family emergency, or other complications beyond the control of the student that caused the student to miss six sessions or fewer of a four-credit class, or the equivalent. It is not meant to be given for major work that is missing because a student could not complete it in the allotted 
time of the course. Nor should the Incomplete grade be used to make up more than six sessions of missed class time of a four-credit class, or the equivalent; a student who has missed more than the allowable sessions will receive a grade of NC or W (if due to illness or family emergency upon successfully petitioning). The student must request an Incomplete from the course instructor before the end of the course, and the instructor may require documentation supporting the student’s reason. A grade of I will be valid for 32 days from the end of the course. The student must 
turn in the missing work within 32 days after the end of the course in which the Incomplete was given, and the instructor will submit a change-of-grade form to the Registrar. In all cases, once the time to make up the Incomplete has elapsed, if the work has not been completed, then the Registrar automatically changes the I grade to NC. This means that after that point, the NC grade cannot be changed to another 
grade by the faculty member.
W  (Withdrawal) — This grade is granted under certain circumstances. (See “Course Withdrawals” listed above.)

PW (Pass/Waive) — This grade is used to indicate a course waived by examination. No hours of credit are awarded.

AU (Audit) — To audit classes, students must have the written approval of both the instructor and the Academic Standards Committee before the course begins.Petition to Academic Standards Committee forms are available in the Enrollment Center or online at www.mum.edu/pdf_enrollment/academic_standards.pdfFinancial Aid does not apply to audited classes; students are required to pay full 
tuition for all audited classes. (Although visitors often sit in on individual class sessions, anyone who sits in on an entire course is required to officially register as a student.) No credit is given for a course in which the student receives a grade of AU.  However, Auditors are expected to participate fully in the class including taking the final exam. If the student does not fulfill this requirement, a grade of “NC” will be 
given for the course and the NC will be included in the student’s GPA.H (Honors) — This grade is added to an instructional course grade when a student has completed the Honors requirement for that course. (See below.) “H” can also be used by itself as a semester grade in Development of Consciousness courses.

NCR (No Credit Repeated) — This grade means that the course was repeated later for a passing grade or was replaced by another course and that this grade has been removed from the GPA. Grades of CR, C-R, C+R, etc. are also possible if courses graded as C, 
C-, or C+. etc. are retaken and a higher grade is achieved.

Grade changes
All grade changes must be approved by the course instructor or department chair and submitted to the Enrollment Center. The changes are then entered on the student’s record. Approval is subject to review by the Academic Standards Committee. 

Appealing a Grade

Students who wish to appeal a grade should first discuss the matter with the course instructor. If that does not settle the appeal satisfactorily, then the student has until 30 days after the grade was sent out by the Registrar to file a written appeal with the department chair or, if the instructor was the department chair, with the Dean of Academic Programs (for undergraduate students) or the Dean of the Graduate School (for 
graduate students).

Honors for Undergraduates
1.  An Honors Component may be available for undergraduate courses. Completion of the Honors Component and a grade of A or A- is required in order to receive Honors. The Honors grade will be reflected on the transcript.
2.  Undergraduate students achieve the President’s Honor Roll for each semester in which they complete at least 12 credits of instructional course work with a grade point average of 3.70 (“A-”) or higher, and receive no NC or NP grades. 
3.  The faculty award graduation honors (summa cum laude, magna cum laude, and cum laude) to undergraduates based on the student’s academic excellence and holistic development.

Honors for Development of Consciousness 
Students can achieve Development of Consciousness (DC) Honors for each semester in which they attend at least 180 group programs. These students will receive a grade of H.

Repeating a course for a higher grade

Repeating a course for a higher grade is permitted in rare cases with approval of the Registrar and the course instructor. Credit is given only once, but the registration and grade for both courses will appear on the transcript. Only the higher of the two grades is used in calculating the GPA beginning with the semester in which it is earned.If there have been extenuating circumstances, a graduate student may request to retest on an examination as long as: 1) the student has received a grade of less than a B but higher than an NC on an examination, 2) the student understands that no matter how well they perform on the retest, their final grade for the course cannot be higher than a B, and 3) the nature, extent, and preparation for the retest is determined on a case-by-case basis by the course instructor.

This section was reviewed in February 2013.

search login

Click here to cancel

You were trying to view a protected page.
Please login to gain access or cancel to go back to the site.
User ID:  

Forgot your password?