High levels of reading, critical thinking, writing, and math skills
We use the ETS Proficiency Profile, developed by the Educational Testing Service, to measure the four core skill areas of critical thinking, reading, writing, and mathematics. All entering freshmen take this test, as do seniors.
RESULTS: Test results show MUM has a greater percent of its students performing proficiently in these four core skill areas compared to students at other universities with the same Carnegie classification.
See ETS Proficiency Profile Overview.
High levels of student engagement
We use the National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE), developed at Indiana University/Bloomington, to assess students' engagement in the learning process. The results indicate how undergraduates spend their time and what they gain from attending college. More than 1,400 colleges in the U.S. and Canada have participated in NSSE since it began in 2000. See nsse.iub.edu.
We administer this survey to freshmen and senior students every 2-3 years and use the data to improve students' experience.
RESULTS: The 2009 results showed high levels of engagement among freshmen and/or senior students in 5 different areas — academic and intellectual experiences, additional college experiences, quality of relationships, educational and personal growth, and reading and writing.
High levels of student satisfaction
We use the Noel-Levitz Student Satisfaction Inventory to measure student satisfaction and priorities across the full range of their educational experience. This nationally standardized survey is taken by more than 3,000,000 students at 2,100 campuses. See noellevitz.com. We administer this survey to all students each year and use the results for our continuous improvement initiatives and planning.
RESULTS: In 2009, students cited the following as particular strengths of Maharishi University of Management:
- It is an enjoyable experience to be a student on this campus.
- I am able to experience intellectual growth here.
- Students are made to feel welcome on this campus.
- I am growing in the ability to manage every aspect of my life in a healthy and productive manner.
- This institution shows concern for students as individuals.
- The campus is safe and secure for all students.
- Faculty care about me as an individual.
- The campus staff are caring and helpful.
- Financial aid counselors are helpful.
- Most students feel a sense of belonging here.
- There is a strong commitment to racial harmony on this campus.