Overall University governance is vested in the Executive Council, under the leadership of the President and Executive Vice-President and with oversight by the Board of Trustees.
The Executive Council consists of the President, Executive Vice-President, Treasurer, Chief Administrative Officer, Dean of Faculty, Dean of Student Life, Dean of Admissions, Vice-President for Expansion, Dean of Global Development, and Secretary.
The Executive Council:
- Oversees strategic planning, budgeting, and institutional assessment
- Formulates institutional objectives, providing the framework for departmental planning
- Reviews department plans, assigns priorities, reviews implementation, and evaluates results
- Oversees annual employee performance reviews
- Drives continuous improvement of all University functions
- Addresses any issues that cannot be addressed at the departmental level
- Reports regularly to the Board of Trustees and carries out directives from the Board.
The Executive Council meets monthly or as needed.
The University utilizes a five-year planning cycle. Detailed plans are formulated for the first two of the five years, with more general plans for the remaining three years. The plan is revised and extended annually.
The budget is prepared annually and is integrated with planning. Guided by the Treasurer and in conjunction with department heads, the Executive Council develops budgets for each area, integrates these into an overall University budget, and presents the proposed budget to the Board of Trustees. The Board reviews and approves the annual budget and monitors its progress during the course of each year.