||AyurVeda, the most ancient science of health, has its origins in the Vedic tradition of India thousands of years ago. Maharishi Mahesh Yogi’s revival and dissemination of this ancient AyurVedic knowledge — known as Maharishi AyurVeda® — has inspired a renewed interest in scientifically investigating the effectiveness of AyurVedic procedures, and has helped to initiate a major trend toward more natural means of health care.
A Complete System of Health Care
Maharishi AyurVeda® is a comprehensive system of health care that includes mind, body, behavior and environment. Natural modalities include:
Prevention-Oriented Health Care
- Transcendental Meditation technique to bring balance and peace to the mind and body
- Yoga Asanas to bring balance, flexibility, and coordination between mind and body
- Pulse diagnosis to measure level of balance of mind and body
- Herbal formulas, prepared precisely according to the ancient texts, to promote and restore mental and physical balance
- Individualized dietary knowledge to balance the principles of intelligence at the basis of the mind body system
- Daily and seasonal routine to align the individual with the cycles of nature
- Vedic organic agriculture to grow food rich in natural intelligence and nutrition
- Vedic architecture to enliven balance and peace in the environment
- Effects of the distant environment (sun, moon, planets) on physiological cycles and health
A specialty of Maharishi AyurVeda® is prevention. Prevention is the basis of perfect health. An ancient Vedic aphorism is, “Avert the danger before it arises.”
Maharishi AyurVeda® has 40 approaches that enliven the inner intelligence of the body, based in the unified field of all the laws of nature, the deepest level of nature’s intelligence. All of the approaches naturally enliven the fundamental order and harmony at the basis of mind, body, behavior and environment — at the basis of every cell, tissue, organ and function. Extensive scientific research has been conducted on several of these approaches, particularly the Transcendental Meditation program.
Students at MUM learn to use many of the modalities of Maharishi AyurVeda® to maintain their own health, and to develop their inner potential, as a basis for increased outer success. These include self-pulse assessment, Yoga asanas, the Transcendental Meditation technique, individualized diet, and daily and seasonal routine. Most of the academic buildings on campus were built utilizing the principles of Maharishi Vedic architecture.