Current Students
On-Campus Housing Policies
Housing Charges
Off-Campus Housing
Home >  Current Students >  Student Service Departments >  Student Life >  Student Handbook >  University Services >  Housing >  On-Campus Housing Policies > 
On-Campus Housing Policies    
One of the University’s primary missions is to provide a great residential experience for students while cultivating academic achievement and personal growth.

On-Campus Housing: Every student residence is designed to provide a comfortable environment for study and rest. Individual rooms have telephone and Internet connections as well as air conditioning. Each residence hall provides washer/dryer service and filtered drinking water, and many have exercise and recreation rooms.

To encourage maximum academic focus and comfort for every student, our residence halls are all single-gender facilities.

From 9:30 p.m. to 9:30 a.m. every day, students are expected to respect their fellow residents by honoring quiet times and thus being considerate of activities that could disturb others in the residence halls, such as talking loudly or playing loud music, games, and videos in private rooms or in common spaces. At all times, students are expected to be respectful of others who may be studying or meditating, especially during afternoon and evening hours.

To ensure that students may comfortably maintain a good daily routine, visitors are asked to leave the residence halls by 9:30 p.m. in the evening. Guests should not enter the buildings before 9:30 a.m. Note: Visiting hours and specific areas for guests of the opposite gender are posted in each residence hall. Residence Halls have a Resident Advisor (RA) who helps new students become familiar with campus life
and is skilled in assisting with questions and concerns.

Vastu Housing: Aside from our traditional residence halls, students also have the opportunity to live in Maharishi Sthāpatya Veda housing designed in accordance with Natural Law. Sometimes called Vāstu housing, these structures incorporate ancient principles of Vedic architecture intended to enhance the health, happiness, and good fortune of their residents. These unique residence halls offer a living room, kitchen area,
and a washer and dryer — all shared by eight residents — and a private bathroom for each student. These rooms cost an additional $750 per semester beyond the regular room charges, and at times there is a waiting list. Obtain a Vastu application from the Department of Student Life Administrator, Santoria Rush, in Dreier Building room 105.

Please note: The University reserves the right to use any residence hall during vacation or other special occasions upon reasonable notice to the occupants and without reduction in annual rental or other obligations to the occupants. You may be asked to move your belongings out of your room during Winter breaks. The University also reserves the right to change room assignments during the school year under special

Single Rooms: We usually provide single rooms. At times, however, it may be necessary for the Housing Office to make adjustments in room occupancy to accommodate changing University needs.

Student Property Insurance: Please note that the personal property of students is not the responsibility of the University. We suggest that students obtain property insurance if they do not already have property insurance.

Arriving on Campus: On Move-in Day, a Welcome Committee will be present in the Argiro Student Center Lobby to help students find their assigned rooms. Students arriving late may call Campus Security at 641-472-1115. The Resident Advisors (RA’s) are available to assist students on arrival by helping them complete the Move-in process, and orient themselves with their new buildings. In order to live on campus, students must be enrolled in classes, working for the university, or on the Invincible America Assembly. Students who arrive before Move-in Day must find their own accommodations off campus.

Students wishing to change rooms must obtain approval from the Housing Director before moving, and then properly complete each step of the Move-out process outlined on their Housing Form. (Please see section on Room Changes below.)

Room Keys: To obtain a dorm room key, a student must bring proper ID to the Housing Office. Students must return residence hall keys to the Housing Office or to their Residence Director (RD) when they leave for summer vacation or depart M.U.M. There is a charge for each lost or unreturned key as listed in the Housing Charges section.

Door Cards: Door cards issued by the Housing Office must be visibly posted on doors at all times with a valid enrollment sticker. There is a charge for failure to post the door card or have a proper (updated) registration sticker. Door cards which have been altered are unauthorized and are subject to a charge.

Bedding and Linen: U.S. students must provide their own bedding and linen, pillows, and towels. International students will find bedding and linen, pillows, and towels in their rooms upon arrival. These linens must be returned to the Housing Office at the end of the school year or when the student leaves the University.

Housing Forms: The Housing Department will issue all new residents a Housing Form. This form outlines both the Move-in and Move-out process for students. Resident Advisors (RA’s) are available to help all new students with this form. Once the Move-in portion is completed, the form is to be given to the building’s RA or Resident Director (RD). It is important that all students comply with this process in order to keep our residence halls well-maintained for present students and generations to come. When moving out of a room, the student must get the Housing Form from their RA or RD, fill out the Move-out section, and then give the completed form to Housing. The RA will then check the room to confirm the move-out. If the room is in good order when the student moves out (and the entire process has been properly conducted including turning in the Housing Form to Housing), no housing charges will be applied against his or her student account.

Room Alterations: All physical alterations to campus rooms or common areas, such as painting, must be approved by the Residential Life Department before the work is done, or a charge will be levied.

Furniture in Student Rooms: University rooms are furnished with beds, dressers, chairs, and desks (or built-in desk space). For rooms with two built-in desks, no stand-alone desk(s) will be included. Students must see their Resident Advisor to request the removal and proper storage of any room furniture and indicate on the form what University furniture is to be stored. An RA or RD must sign this form to approve the move. The Resident Advisor will help the student store the furniture in the residence hall storage room if space is available. It is the students’ responsibility to have the furniture returned to the room whenever they move out. If furniture is missing from the room after departure, the student will be charged accordingly.

Non-Smoking Campus: State law and University policy prohibit smoking anywhere on campus. Violators are subject to fines and other disciplinary consequences. (See Tobacco-Free Campus section).

No On-Campus Storage: The University does not provide storage for students. Students should only bring items which they can fit comfortably in their rooms. (Private storage facilities are available off campus for a monthly fee.)

Room Changes: Students may change rooms once during the year without charge. This room change is not automatic: it must be approved by the Housing Office. Students will be charged for any additional room changes during an academic year that are not due to maintenance problems. Please note that during the first six weeks of each semester, students will not be able to change rooms unless there is a physical problem.

Any students eligible to change rooms will need to ask their Resident Advisor to view available rooms in the residence hall in which they wish to live. The student may then request a room change at the Housing Office. If the room change is approved, the student will need to follow the Move-out procedure on the Housing Form for the current room before receiving a door card and key to the new room.

Key Procedure
  • The student goes to the Housing Office, turns in the current key, then receives the key to the new
  • room.
  • The student will then have 48 hours to move.
  • The student must have the RD open the old room to move out their possessions.
  • Failure to move out within 48 hours will result in a $50/day Unauthorized Room Use charge.

Once a new room has been assigned, students must:
  • Have their door card validated with a date sticker from the Enrollment Center
  • Complete the Move-In section of the Housing form for the new room and submit it to their
  • new RA or RD.
  • Vacate the old room within 48 hours, after cleaning and vacuuming it

Students who move into another room without prior approval will be charged and must move back to the original room.

A student who wishes to move from a traditional room into a single Vāstu room must apply to the Department of Student Life and notify Financial Aid once the request is approved. Additional charges apply. See On-campus Housing above. It is located under the term “Vastu Housing”.

Pets: To maintain standards of health for all housing residents, no pets of any kind are permitted on campus, either in buildings or on campus grounds. Pets are not to be left outside while students are in campus buildings, including the dining hall. Violations may result in a warning and/or fines as per the Housing Charges section of this handbook. Stray animals are not to be fed or sheltered. Resident Advisors may be able to help find a solution for a lost or stray animal. Keeping a pet in a student room is a violation of University policy. The student will be fined according to the Housing Charges section that follows.

Environmental Guidelines:
  • Dumpsters: Please do not put the following items in dumpsters: appliances, batteries, bricks, construction materials, greenery, yard waste, liquids, paint, tires, rocks, or flammables.
  • Antennas and Satellite Dishes: Because they can cause extensive damage to buildings and roofs, antennas and satellite dishes are not permitted. Violators will be charged.
  • Telephone, Internet, & Television: Alteration of telephone/internet/cable television lines, or jacks, or installation of telephone/internet/television equipment, including wifi, without the written permission of the Associate Director of Residential Life is not allowed. Any unauthorized installations or alterations of this nature will result in a fine, in addition to repair charges
  • Restrooms in Residence Halls: Because of sanitary requirements in areas for public use, no personal items (e.g., towels, etc.) are to be left in the residence hall restrooms.

Energy Conservation: The following guidelines for thermostat settings, heating and cooling, etc. are based on normal conditions; however, when special energy concerns warrant, special instructions will be posted which may supersede these guidelines.

To ensure energy efficiency and the best utilization of resources, doors and windows must be closed, except as listed below. This is because negative pressure, which draws conditioned air from the building, occurs even when individual room heating or cooling elements are shut off.
  1. Windows can be open for up to five minutes before morning and evening program during all
  2. seasons.
  3. During “Heating” season windows can be open if the temperature is above 65° F (18.30 C).
  4. During “Cooling” season windows can be open if the temperature is below 75° F (23.90 C).

Dial 601 from campus phones for the temperature. Students may be charged if windows or doors are left
open during heating or cooling seasons.

Housing During Vacation Periods: Winter and summer holidays are not included in room and board charges for fall and spring semesters. (Students may stay on campus for Thanksgiving and Spring break.) Students must vacate their rooms within 24 hours of the last class before winter break, and within 48 hours of the last class before summer break, even if they will be occupying the same room after the break. Students may return after winter or summer break on the Friday before classes resume. Rooms must be left clean.

Students who wish to stay on campus during winter or summer break may seek an 18-hour-per-week work position, if available, through the Human Resources Office, or may apply to work full-time to earn tuition credit in addition to room and board. However, temporary employment is not guaranteed. Students participating in the 18-hour-per-week work option will be billed for room and board charges if they work
less than the 18 hours per week, for any reason.

Students who are participating in the Invincible America (IA) Assembly may also remain on campus with the approval of the Department of Student Life and upon payment of $200 per week for room and board, in advance, to the Housing Office. Alternately, they may pay the current IA rate for room only.

Graduate students also have the option of staying on campus over the winter and summer breaks by paying the appropriate room and board charge ($200 per week, payable in advance) to the Housing Office.

Please note that faculty and staff dependents may not stay in student residence halls over the winter or
summer holidays unless authorized to participate in one of the above programs.

Students not authorized to remain on campus over winter or summer vacation may not access their rooms during these holidays. Unauthorized use of a room is not permitted and results in a charge.

The University reserves the right to use students’ rooms during these holiday periods, and to give
temporary room assignments to students remaining on campus.

Room Reservation: Continuing students may reserve a room for the next academic year. Prior to summer break the Housing Office will provide continuing students with the opportunity to reserve a room for Fall Semester. The Housing Office will assign rooms to students who do not take advantage of this room reservation process. Students have until July 1 to cancel their Fall Semester room reservation.

Housing When Withdrawing from a Course: Students must be registered and attending class to remain on campus. Students who withdraw from a course have two options:
  1. move off campus; or
  2. receive permission to stay on campus in an activity approved by the Department of Student Life.

Room Inspections: The Housing Office routinely inspects student rooms throughout the year. Notices are posted in advance to announce the time and dates so students may be prepared. However, the University reserves the right to enter rooms without prior notice. If the condition of a room differs from the Housing Form, the student will be charged. There are charges for missing items or damages to the room; there is also a charge if public University property is damaged or found in private rooms.

Housing Policies for Guests: Residence halls are for students only, and guests are not permitted to stay overnight in the residence halls. However, guests may request overnight accommodation as follows:

  • Prospective students and their families are welcome to apply for Visitors Weekends, which are generally held monthly. Please contact the Office of Admissions by calling (641) 472- 1110 or emailing: for information and to apply.
  • Parents are welcome to stay in our Visitors Center -- if there is availability -- for one night when their son or daughter arrives on campus for their first semester, and for up to three nights when their son or daughter is graduating. Parents who are interested in reserving a room for either of the above times should contact Housing by calling (641) 472-1126 or emailing: There is a charge per night per room. Parents should note that the Visitors Center is divided in half by gender. This is because it is a dormitory with common bathroom facilities. Men will stay on the men’s side, and women on the ladies’ side.
At all other times, parents and other guests are asked to find off-campus housing. Fairfield offers several options. See:

Security Deposit: Each student, whether living on or off campus, pays a security deposit. This deposit is held by the University to cover any unpaid fines (overdue library books, campus traffic tickets, etc.) or unpaid housing charges.

Unused security deposits are refunded when a student graduates or withdraws from the University. Students may apply for a refund at the Student Accounts desk in the Enrollment Center.

Damage to Common Areas: The resident responsible for damage to halls, TV rooms, etc., must pay for any repairs. The resident is also responsible for damages caused by his or her guests. If it is not known who caused the damage, then the cost of repair is shared by all students living in the area of the damage.

Emergency Alarms: Disabling of emergency exit or fire alarms is strictly prohibited. If an emergency alarm
is disabled, fines will apply.

Room Check-Out Procedures: Students leaving the University must move out of their rooms within 48 hours of their last day of class. Here are the steps to follow before leaving:
  • Get their Housing Form from their RA or RD, and follow the departure procedure. Your Resident Advisor can help you fill out this form.
  • Remove all belongings from the room. (The University cannot assume responsibility for articles left in private rooms or residence halls after a student’s departure. If personal belongings are left in the room, the student is charged, and the items will eventually be discarded in accordance with the Abandoned Property guideline below.)
  • Clean and vacuum room. Throw out trash and leave the room in good order. (Otherwise, a charge will be assessed to defray the cleaning costs.)
  • Shut window, put blinds down and turn off air conditioning in the summer. Leave thermostat set at 60 degrees for heat in the winter.
  • International students must leave sheets, towels, and blankets in the room. If they are missing, a charge will be billed to the student and deducted from the security deposit.
  • Properly complete the departure section of the Housing Form, and submit it to the Housing department or your RD.
  • Lock room door, remove door card from door, and follow the key return steps on the Housing Form.
  • Return the completed Housing Form to the Resident Advisor within 48 hours of the last class attended. In order for the University to process requests for return of the security deposit, students must return this form.
  • Charges apply if students do not follow and complete the Move-out procedures, as outlined on the Housing Form.
Abandoned Property: Any personal items left behind in a dorm room will be removed by the University and placed in storage at its owner’s expense. Room packing fees will apply as well as a storage fee of $50.

The property will remain in storage for up to thirty (30) days. During this time it will be returned to its owner
on request, once storage and transportation charges have been paid. Items not claimed by the end of the 30
days will be considered abandoned property and will be disposed of by the University.

Appealing Housing Charges: Students may file a written appeal of a housing charge to the Associate
Director of Residential Life within seven business days of the invoice date.
search login

Click here to cancel

You were trying to view a protected page.
Please login to gain access or cancel to go back to the site.
User ID:  

Forgot your password?