Matthew Beaufort, M.A.
Associate Chair, Assistant Professor of Art
Work Phone: 472 7000 ext. 5035
Home Phone: 472 2457
Areas of expertise
Teaching art history and art appreciation in the light of a systematic and comprehensive understanding of consciousness
- 1971 Studied art history and Italian language and culture in Florence, Italy.
- 1973 Graduated magna cum laude with honors in the history of art from Yale University; wrote a 100-page thesis on art and consciousness under the direction of Dr. Sheldon Nodelman.
- 1973 Studied the Science of Creative Intelligence with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in Switzerland and became a Teacher of Maharishi’s Transcendental Meditation program in Vittel, France.
- 1974-77 Taught the Science of Creative Intelligence and the Transcendental Meditation program in Akron and Columbus, Ohio and Tulsa, Oklahoma and gave advanced lcctures on art and consciousness.
- 1975 Edited scripts for a ten-hour videotaped course on art and consciousness by Michael Cain at Maharishi International University (MIU) in Fairfield, Iowa. Rewrote the two lectures on the history of Western art.
- 1976 Lectured on art history at MIU and served as a course leader for two Phase I Teacher Training Courses in the Transcendental Meditation program.
- 1978-1980 Served as a lecturer and research assistant in art history at MIU. Gained an M.A. in Higher Education Administration (Curriculum and Instruction track) from MIU.
- 1980-1982 Taught three sections a week of art history courses while completing five quarters of graduate work in the History of Consciousness Ph.D. program. at the University of California at Santa Cruz. Final research project: "Art History and Art Criticism: The Role of Consciousness in the Interpretation of Art." This research and course work at UCSC is the equivalent of a master's degree.
- 1985-1986 Taught world cultures and art appreciation to seniors at the Maharishi School of the Age of Enlightenment in Fairfield, Iowa.
- 1987-1990 Wrote and edited academic and promotional videotapes for the MIU Video Magazine, and served as Managing Editor for a scientific research booklet.
- 1987-1990 Gained an M.A. in the Science of Creative Intelligence, an interdisciplinary science of consciousness, from MIU with a final research project on the interpretation of art in the light of a science of consciousness.
- 1991-2010 Taught courses in cultural history, art history, and art appreciation at M.U.M. (Maharishi University of Management), including Understanding Art, Prehistoric to Medieval Art, Renaissance to Contemporary Art, Nineteenth and Twentieth Century Art, Traditions of World Art, Western Civilization, World Civilizations, World Religions, and Creativity and Consciousness, and also the Science of Creative Intelligence.
- 1992 Delivered a public lecture series on art appreciation.
- 1993 Taught a four-hour public seminar on art, creativity, and the development of consciousness sponsored by the Art Department at the University of Tulsa.
- 1993-1994 Served as editor of the newsletter for F.A.T.E. (Foundations in Art: Theory and Education), a national association of teachers of art and art history which is affiliated with the CAA (the College Art Association).
- 1994 Led a tour of Italy sponsored by MIU's Division of Continuing Education. Lectured on art and consciousness at educational centers in Florence and Verona.
- 1994 Gave lectures on art appreciation and led a cultural tour to the Kansas City Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art.
- 1994 Created educational videotapes on art appreciation in the light of consciousness for MIU's Division of Continuing Education, including "Art: The Mirror of Consciousness" (on the MIU Video Magazine).
- 1995 Gave a presentation at the F.A.T.E. national conference in St. Louis, "Developing Consciousness as the Foundation for the Study of Art."
- 1995 Led two cultural tours to a Monet exhibit in Chicago.
- 1995 Led a cultural tour to Italy.
- 1995 Named Associate Chairperson of the Department of Fine Arts at M.U.M.
- 1996 Led a cultural tour to Paris and London.
- 1997 Led a panel at the F.A.T.E. national conference in Richmond, "Strategies to Overcome Stress, Avoid Burnout, and Awaken Creativity," speaking on the Transcendental Meditation technique. Also spoke on another panel exploring alternative approaches to art history, on "Interpreting Art as an Expression of Consciousness."
- 1997 Led a cultural tour to Chicago focusing on the Renoir exhibit. Gave a public lecture, "Renoir: Portraits of the Heart," which was videotaped for cable TV.
- 1998 Guest lecturer at Iowa Wesleyan College on Renoir.
- 1998 Taught two seminar/workshops sponsored by the Art Academy of Cincinnati, "Art, Creativity and Meditation," and "Art in the East and West: Understanding Art and the History of Art as an Expression of Consciousness."
- 1998 Gave three public lectures on art and consciousness in the Cincinnati area, including at an Italian cultural institute, which was videotaped for cable TV.
- 1998 Co-authored an article, "The Holistic Education of Artists Through Maharishi Vedic Science: Unfolding the Infinite Reservoir of Creativity in Individual Awareness," for the journal Modern Science and Vedic Science.
- 1999 Led a panel at the national F.A.T.E. conference in Colorado, "Exploring New Principles for the Holistic Education of Artists: Developing the Artist's Awareness as the Foundation for Art."
- 1999 Led a cultural tour to Italy.
- 1999 Organized and taught a month-long study-abroad program in Italy for M.U.M. under the Rotating University program.
- 2000 Lectured at Southeastern Community College in Burlington, Iowa on "Art and Consciousness, East and West."
- 2000 Organized a public lecture series and led a tour to Chicago focusing on the art of India.
- 2001 Lectured at the Muscatine Art Center in Muscatine, Iowa on "Mandalas in Art: Universal Symbols of Wholeness."
- 2001 Lectured at Southeastern Community College on "Angels in Art."
- 2002 Led two two-week cultural tours, one to Paris, focusing on Impressionism, and one to Dubrovnik, Croatia, highlighting spiritual art and architecture.
- 2002 Gave lectures and led a cultural tour to Chicago on Italian Renaissance art.
- 2002 Led tours to Grinnell College on Renaissance art and to the Cedar Rapids Museum of Art on Grant Woods and the photography of Ansel Adams
- 2004-2009. Taught courses in world art history, Western civilization, cross-cultural communication, and the Science of Creative Intelligence three months each year at M.U.M.'s program in Beijing, China.
- 2004-2009 Gave art tours to hundreds of people of major exhibits of Western and Chinese art in Beijing.
- 2006 Edited the English for a book on Chinese art and artifacts, Things Chinese.
- 2008 Served as a Keynote Speaker at the 19th Annual Convention for the Modernization of the I-Ching, Anyang, China in May. An expanded version of the talk, “Vedic Science: Developing Total Brain Functioning to Directly Experience the Essence of Tao and I-Ching, the Unified Field of All the Laws of Nature,”was published in both English and Chinese in the conference book.
- 2008 Gave a slide lecture, “Goddesses and Female Archetypes in Art,” at ICON Gallery in Fairfield, IA.
- 2009 Spoke at the World Universities Forum in Mumbai, India, in January on “Developing Total Brain Functioning for Enlightenment: The Practical Application of Quantum Physics, Tao, and Maharishi Vedic Science.”
- 2009 Edited a 500-page book on art in the Consciousness-Based Education Series to be published by the M.U.M.Press, including writing the Introduction, co-authoring the lead article, “Consciousness-Based Art Education: Developing the Infinite Creativity of Every Student,” and rewriting half the book.
- 2009 Gave two lectures on “Mother Divine in World Art” as part of the M.U.M. continuing education course on Vedic Devata in the Human Physiology.
- 2009 Led a 3-week artistic and spiritual pilgrimage to sites in Italy, Bosnia and Turkey.
- 2010 Delivered a series of twelve lectures on Art: The Mirror of Consciousness as part of a continuing education course at M.U.M.
- 2010 Gave a slide lecture, “Individual and Universal Love in Art” at ICON Gallery in Fairfield, IA.