Free panel discussion: GMOs, Soil Biology, Composting, and more
Date: 4/25/2013Start Time: 7:45 PMEnd Time: 9:00 PMLocation: Student Lounge, Argiro Student Center
EcoFairfield in cooperation with the Sustainable Living Department of Maharishi University of Management presents:
From GMOs to Compost Tea
Understanding GMOs in the Food Supply
Understanding Soil Microbiology to Get the Most from Your Organic Garden
Thursday, April 25th, 7:45 PM Student Lounge, Argiro Student Center,
Maharishi University of Management
Presentation: The Basics of GMOs/Reading the Label
Presentation: The Non-GMO Project
- what GMOs are,
- how they are made,
- which crops are genetically engineered,
- how they are regulated in the US and in other countries,
- a little bit of the history of how Genetic-ID, under the guidance of MUM Professor of Microbiology, Dr. John Fagan, became the first lab in the world to devise and implement GMO testing.
- reading the product label
The Non-GMO Project (non-gmoproject.org), which started in Berkeley as a grass roots initiative is now an industry-wide project of the organic food industry.
Non-GMO certification - why is it necessary on organic and conventional food products?
the significance of the Non-GMO Project seal,
how it has become the food industry standard for Non-GMO food content.
Presentation: GMOs, Health & Sustainability
Reports from the scientific community continue to point to health and ecological dangers. Topics will include:
Presentation: Compost Tea – Organic Gardening at its Best
- What is the significance of the Canadian research showing gmos in blood of pregnant mothers and fetuses?
- How has Roundup affected herbicide use?
- The continual use of pesticides, fungicides and the recent popularity of GMOs has resulted in the drastic reduction of nature's diverse soil food web.
- What is the soil food web?
- What are the benefits to you and the land when a diverse microbial population is in place?
- Nature's inherent agricultural immune system and how you can be a part of bringing it back.